Tuesday 10 February 2015

BRAINSTORM - Memories In My Skin

Brainstorm List:
  • Week in Florida
  • Month in Philippines
  • Volunteering at Summer camp with Elijah (represents green)
  • Volunteering at Summer camp with Nick (represents blue)
  • School in general
  • Beach trips during the summer
  • Bike rides in the trails
  • Disney World
  • Universal Studios
  • Struggling with self-image

My Buddy, Elijah
His eyes. His eyes became my kryptonite. To this day, I will never see another pair of gorgeous with the mesmerizing glint I saw in him. His eyes were a kaleidoscope of green shades that pierced deep into your heart. Shadowing his eyes were long, protruding eyelashes, which framed his eyes like a doll. From the moment I first introduced myself to this young, six-year old boy, I knew I was gone.

Annually, I dedicate 2-4 weeks of my life to volunteering at the local playground summer camp. Living right across the street, my heart felt obligated to assist and frolic through the green trees. Volunteering at playground came with two options: playground assistant or one-on-one buddy. for two years, I have been a buddy for kids with developmental disabilities, but none have caught my heart like Elijah.

My first impression of Elijah, was that kid is a charmer. Whether or not he aware of it himself, he could sweep anyone off their feet. Knowing that I was fortunate enough to spend two full weeks of summer camp with Elijah, I was immediately overjoyed. My buddy himself, Elijah- was a bundle of joy himself. He wasn't like any other I've ever met. He interacted with other children. He charmed his way through playground leaders. He co-operated fully with every ounce of effort he could muster with his tiny body. He enjoyed swimming and looked forward to spending an hour in the recreational pool every day. Elijah was a gleaming ray of sunshine- lighting up everyone's day with his cheerful eyes.

The problem with Elijah did not occur to me, seemingly harmless and minor enough that I was not alerted about it. My assumption of Elijah's developmental disability was mild ADHD due to his low attention span and his extreme levels of energy. Soon enough, it was a gloomy, rainy day. The rain drenched everyone who stood outside. Elijah's mood was drenched as well. The abrupt change in the environment and plans of the day affected Elijah, too much for him to bare. His actions become abrasive and violent, while his screams pierced through the thick cement walls of the recreational centre. After soothing Elijah to regain his composure, comfortingly wiping his tears- it became clear to me. My sweet, little Elijah has autism.

After consulting with playground leaders due to their withdrawing of information, I was told the purpose. Their reasoning was so that I would not give Elijah any special treatment which would make him aware of having a developmental disability. My heart shattered for the boy and I immediately realized the intentions of the camp leaders. Autism does not define who Elijah is, or the person he is growing to become.

My love and compassion for Elijah grew throughout the two weeks I spent as his buddy. My awareness of developmental disability has expanded beyond its previous horizons. Whether or not someone I know has been diagnosed with autism or ADHD; they are a human being. They are not autistic, they are a person with autism. Developmental disabilities does not define who someone is and it's inconsiderate to refer as someone by the developmental disability.

Through Elijah's sparkling green eyes is a symbolic meaning through his own view of the world. Children that have autism are not mentally retarded, they simply view the world in a different perspective than those who don't. With Elijah's glistening green eyes, he takes on the world, one blink at a time. One step at a time. My little friend Elijah has inspired me to believe that everyone views the world in a different view. Elijah's eyes have changed me for the better- imagining the world through the perspective of innocent green eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment