Tuesday 28 April 2015

Art Video Game

ART VIDEO GAME

Ideas that I think I can show in an art video game are:
- World Hunger. I think I can show this by showing a child trying to work or searching through scraps for food, or taking any desperate measures to satisfy their stomach, (i.e. an apple or piece of spread). An image or an object that I can use to demonstrate this theme are pictures of sick children from lack of nutrition, or maybe a bowl of rice or a piece of bread. I think that money is genuinely the #1 cause of a majority of global issues around the world, and the children who die every day- whether from hunger or disease- and that people with a lot of money exploit it and don't put it to good use.

- Stigma. I think I can show this by using prejudice and stereotypes, with images of people/actions and matching them up with the stigmatized words, like emo and attention-whore. I think that this can work with the memory game by allowing the player to unconsciously match the words but then at the end realize how they have been affected by stigma. I think this theme works with the flappy bird game because it can be an image of a person and having to pass through life obstacles, like the stigma, by the pipes resembling words like dyke and etc.

- Racial slurs. I think I can show this by using stereotypes. Using images of people of diversity and matching them up with different racial slurs. I think this works best with the memory game because the player is able to match up the racial slur with the person that they believe fits the racial slur. This shows how accustomed people are to being racist without being fully conscious about it.

My favourite theme from all three of these ideas is the world hunger one. I believe that I can modify the game so that it shows the reality of being able to give children food and ending the concept of world hunger. I will choose the memory game to show the concept of world hunger.

I will change the instruction screen background by showing a background that is created to illustrate the countries with highly-concentrated starvation. I will change the main game background into a modified picture of starving people. The question side and picture side of the cards will depend on the concept. The question side with show food, (i.e. apples, water, etc.) and the answer side will show a starving person or a middle-class/high-class person. I plan to show how easy it will appear to be feeding children but in reality, the player understands that people must try harder to feed children. I intend to change the game descriptions to several sentences, explaining how feeding children is important on both winning and losing screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment